Tuesday 29 October 2013

UNPACKING!!!!

With thanks to CG who keeps giving me titles to build a story around!



I arrived at my house in Cairns yesterday, and was so pleased to just close the door and try out my new beds! All the travelling had left me exhausted and I needed a good night's sleep. Thank goodness I have come at a cool time of year!! 

Now I start the task of unpacking the crates I sent over from the UK some time ago. The outsides aren't damaged and I hope all the packing materials kept breakages at bay. I think I'll start with the items to go in the kitchen - oh, good, no china breakages! Was worried a little about the crockery, especially as I think it will be used more often here. Luckily, I have a week before the shipping agent comes to collect the empty crates. May need most of the time to sort out the books, especially as I need to make bookshelves - my router will finally be used as I intended when I first bought it, and the assortment of bits may give interesting finishes to the woodwork. However, as long as I do not have books lying around everywhere, I shall be happy to build the basic shelves and add fancy touches later.

Yippee! No breakages of my ornaments and pictures!! Although I gave lots away to charity shops before they were packed, I think there will be a few to go to an op shop [charity shops in Oz!] soon. Part of the packing protection of these items was cat accessories. I didn't want to get rid of the triangular-ish catlit tray, and know the cat carrier will be very useful. Shall have to read all the notes Alicia kindly prepared on local shopping areas, especially those selling cat food, etc, and, as soon as the tabby kittens come here and have settled in, they will be registered with the best veterinary surgeon and a timeline worked out for shots and neutering. The carrier is large enough to transport both of them for several months, so it will be a while before I have to buy a second. Shall see how life is with two feline companions for a while before I decide whether or not I take on any more kittens. Would love a houseful, but have to talk to the immediate neighbours to see how they feel about several cats allowed outside during the day. It doesn't take long for cats to adjust to human hours, and I shall have to make sure they do not roam during the day, and are safely indoors overnight.

I took the time to empty the luggage brought with me, travelled light as I knew a lot of my clothes would be too warm for life in Cairns, while I had a welcome coffee and snack lunch. Am still missing Bracken a great deal, was looking for her to share my lunch, at least she had a long and good life and passed peacefully in her sleep. 

Day three - penultimate crate - bedlinen, curtains, etc. I left all the duvets and pillows behind, think duvets won't be needed here, although I brought all of my crocheted blankets. Need new pillows, like to have four on each double bed, two memory foam and two thinner foam pillows. Love the linen cupboard here, oodles of shelves and space! Shall store pictures and ornaments in here whilst deciding what goes where.

Day five - last crate - books. For the time being I have put some in the second bedroom and most of the rest in the linen cupboard. Books I want to hand are in the living room, on a small bookcase Alicia provided. If it wasn't for Alicia and her family, I would not have such a lovely home. They found all the basic items I required, including a dishwasher, and gave me several surprise items I hadn't thought about, including some small shrubs in planters, and arranged for a gardener to come regularly to mow the grass, etc, and he brings his own equipment!!

Thank you very much, Alicia and your lovely family for everything you have done for me!!!


Virginia Kop/Kop's Kattery
29 October 2013


No comments:

Post a Comment