Wednesday 8 May 2013

My Sponsored Daughter

FLORENCE - A JEWEL IN MY LIFE

In the early 2000's I became the proud sponsor of a young girl in Uganda. A shy 6-year old, Florence was the only child of peasant farmers, and my sponsorship meant she would be given supplies for School, a uniform and be able to attend School. Florence, and her parents, also had access to medical treatment and help with sanitation projects, plus help with drought-resistant seeds. Amazingly, the children have to walk to and from School, which can take 45 minutes each way! The whole community decide what they need help with, in conjunction with the Ugandan representatives of the Charity. In the years I have known Florence, a Health Centre has been built - very modern looking, and a borehole to provide safe water was developed.

Florence in her School uniform!
The very first photograph I received! She looked cute and very wary at the same time! Later photos show her in ordinary clothes, a nice change from the uniforms. Probably the only decent clothes they had to wear initially.

Children have no access to drawing equipment until they go to School!
I haven't heard from Florence herself for a few months, apparently she is studying outside of the community. Initially she wanted to be a nurse, but of course her parents will decide what she does. I am desperately hoping that she is involved in some training to do with a medical career of some type, but worried about what may have actually happened.

Until about 2010 sponsors were able to send small gift packets to 'their' children. However, the children themselves requested it be stopped - apparently the number of children who even received letters from their sponsors was really, really low - to stop jealousy. Apparently some sponsors never wrote at all, not even upon receipt of annual review and new photographs! And, of course the powers-to-be were concerned about global footprints - a lot of the items arrived in the UK from China, and then were being sent to Africa, Asia, etc. Luckily, there is no embargo on sending a sheet of stickers, blank paper and cards attached to a letter. Or postcards with all the contact details, so the children can still feel special.

Health Centre, built 2007

Several years ago I made up a folder of vegetables we grow in the UK, and explained the [old] importance of crop rotation. A local shop allowed me to take photographs of their wares and Florence was really excited when she received it - said she would like to see the items up close and in person. If I had won the Lotto I would have sponsored her to come to the UK and learn about various methods of planting and nurturing vegetables to improve the yield in Uganda.

Borehole - no more trekking miles to rivers!

When Florence turns 18, I shall no longer be able to sponsor her and I think we shall miss each other a great deal. I don't think I shall sponsor another child, it will be time for me to retire.

June 2015 - my last correspondence from Florence! She was 18 last year and I thought a mistake had happened with her date of birth. Not to be! Along with the letter, etc, there were details of a young girl [around 7-8 years old] in Senegal, who is my new 'daughter' in Africa. There was a huge surprise - a lovely smile!!! It is very rare to see anyone smile - not even Florence did in all our years together!

I was very pleased to learn she is studying to be a Nurse - she wanted that from the very beginning!

2 comments:

  1. That's so beautiful that you've both connected and been able to communicate so well. How lucky Florence is to have your support xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been extremely lucky to have her in my life, even if I have neglected her recently. Supposedly she is studying outside of the area, hoping SHE writes soon - very concerned about her being married off, etc. x x x

      Delete